Saturday, June 6, 2009

Outdoor Fun, Cookout/BBQ?, and a Birthday!

The past few weeks have been loaded with fun activities including such things as planting our first garden, BBQ-ing, and my twenty-fourth birthday. I've included some pictures to update everyone on what we've been doing!

First, as the summer progressed I realized how much I miss gardening. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss tilling, planting, weeding, and especially eating all the fruits and vegetables I had while growing up. I took it for granted while I was young that I could walk outside my home and eat a handful of fresh raspberries, blackberries, grapes, or any other number of things we grew. So, David and I decided to plant our own garden. Because we live in an apartment complex and we can't dig into the ground, David went and bought some large planting pots. We now have two pepper plants, a zucchini plant, and a tomato plant growing in our own little garden.


It's amazing how much our plants have already grown...and we haven't done ANYTHING!!! It rains every other day here and when it's not raining the humidity keeps the moisture in the plants so we never have to water. I've come to the conclusion that having a garden in North Carolina is the way to go...if you plant it, the vegetables will come!

Oh, and one more thing, while I love having a garden and miss my huge garden in Utah...sorry, dad, I'll never miss picking the beans!


We also recently celebrated my birthday. David's mom was so sweet to take us out to dinner and Courtney, David's sister, surprised me with a cake and a gift!



My neighbor Sarah also made a yummy chocolate cake for me. Notice her candle color choice--green, pink, and white. This is not surprising since Sarah's entire apartment is decorated in these colors!

My wish? Well, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you....



Finally, David and I bought ourselves an early anniversary gift--a grill!!! Walmart had all of their grills on sale for a great price so we decided to splurge a little and buy one. We love it!

HOWEVER, the grill has created tension in our home because I call it a barbeque and David calls it a grill. Additionally, I call what we do with the grill a barbeque and David calls it a cookout (it's a Southern thing). Anyway, you can all weigh in on what you think the correct terminology for the outdoor appliance and its uses are. If you are having trouble deciding or if you just want to have a good laugh, watch this short video which pays tribute to true Southern BBQ.

7 comments:

JoandDoug said...

Way to go on all that and happy birthday! Your garden looks fabulous! I'm glad that you had a good time celebrating your birthday too. We have that very same grill! (or should I say BBQ :))

The Ullery Family said...

Okay it can be either a grill or a BBQ at our house, but we give five votes that what you do on it is BBQ! :)

JoandDoug said...

I must not be from the south...

Anonymous said...

Um...I would say that you can call it a bar-b-que or a grill and you cook food on it so you can have a barbeque with your family and friends.haha :) I'm not from the south though. Happy late birthday! You are so old now!

Anonymous said...

Well, as a lifelong Southerner, I'd have to say that cooking on a grill is NOT barbecueing...it is grilling. You only barbecue when you continuously baste your meat, while grilling, with a GOOD B-Bar- Q sauce!

Am so glad you are spending real time in the South...it is obviously enhancing your understanding of the real world. ! Ha ! Love ya mucho.

Papa

Howard Family said...

You cook on a grill to have a cookout with your friends and family. You already knew what my answer would be, though!

Natasha said...

I love your garden. I too miss digging, weeding, and working in the dirt. When we are actually in one place for more than a few months I will plant a little garden much like yours. As for the terminology arguement, Ryan and I have our own we can't seem to agree on. Good luck!